The National Centre for Scientific Research “Demokritos” (NCSRD) is a research organization, under the supervision of the Greek Government. With a staff of over 700, including 100 post-graduate students and over 300 research associates, NCSRD is the biggest research centre in applied sciences and engineering in Greece. NCSR participates in R&D activities in the ehealth and mobile applications domain. More specifically the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications (IIT), one of the five Institutes of NCSRD, has accumulated substantial expertise and is actively involved in many areas of information technologies, mobile applications and telecommunications concerning health applications, while it has participated in numerous EU and nationally funded research projects.
NCSRD’s IIT is involved in technological research and it has been participating in a large number of European projects in the above mentioned fields, namely: SMARTS, PRAXIS, EPRI-Watch, EPRI-Com, NICE, EXPERT, INSURED, INFOWIN, MONHX, CHIN, GALENOS.
NCSR-IIT-Ehealth unit and Dr Homer Papadopoulos who is leading the unit has successfully taken part and coordinated several European and national e-health projects like Intermed, TilleIppokratis USEFIL, ProFouND and ReAAL, ConCorde, REMOTECARE, HEALTHNET. The unit and Dr Papadopoulos successfully coordinated the health Projects, Intermed , the FP7 www.usefil.eu project and others.
Within the realm of these projects the IIT and the Ehealth Unit has extensive expertise in managing multidisciplinary and Multinational partnerships and consortia. IIT has the capacity with high qualified researchers (PhD) and managers with skills and expertise in implementing large, international information systems projects.
The NCSR D/IIT Institution has extensive experience with participating and coordinating many EU and National funded Information and Communication Technology projects where almost 90% of its project portfolio over the last three years is related to mHealth/eHealth projects.
The NCSR/IIT/ehealth unit is actively participating in strategic planning committees and multinational projects developing mHealth apps and creating evidence based data, influencing policymaking in healthcare in regional National and European level:
- At National Level:
- Greek Ministry of Health is implementing a falls prevention program (HPIONI – http://www.eemmo.gr/DOCS/2016/EH_2016.pdf), promoting evidence-based practice at every level (elderly, families, health and social care professionals, organizations and others), influenced by the Profound Project.
- At European Level Ehealth unit:
- Is participating and coordinating the A1 Action Group/subgroup: ICT for better adherence of the European Innovation Partnership on Active Healthy Ageing, (supported by the European Union) promoting mHealth applications and services for boosting adherence to medical plans
- At Global Level:
- The unit is founding Member (2016) of the International Society of Digital Medicine, where it publishes papers promoting adoption of mHealth services.
- Participates in the EOC-NET Group of the World Health Organization Public Health Emergency Operations Centre Network (EOC-NET), https://workspace.who.int/sites/EOC-NET/default.aspx , Supporting the implementation of ehealth technologies in the emergency health activities